- 1 approx. 7 kg (16 lbs) turkey, cut into 8 pieces (ask your butcher to cut it for you)
- 1 cup coarse salt
- 1/4 cup cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
- 6 juniper berries
- 4 cloves
- 6 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 4 lbs duck fat, melted
- Place the turkey pieces on a large plate.
- In a bowl, mix salt, pepper, rosemary, juniper berries, cloves and bay leaf. Roll the turkey pieces in the spice mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let macerate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Clean off the turkey pieces using a clean cloth and place in a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with maple sugar and pour enough duck fat over it to ensure the entire turkey is covered.
- Slowly cook for 3 hours on a low setting.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Remove the turkey pieces from the duck fat, place on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet and brown in the oven for 45 minutes.
Cooking time: 3 hours 45 minutes
Try serving it with a mash of sweet potatoes garnished with coriander.N.B. Duck fat keeps in the refrigerator for 3 months and can be reused.Confit is a slow and gentle cooking method resulting in a meat that is very tender and juicy.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!