- 8g or 1/4 oz of dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of maple sugar
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 cups of maple syrup
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a bowl. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the milk until it boils and pour into a large bowl. Add butter, salt and maple sugar and mix until dissolved. Add the yeast mixture.
- Add half of the flour and mix using a beater. Stir in the eggs. Gradually add the rest of the flour until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead adding more flour if it is sticky.
- Place in a buttered bowl and let rise until it doubles in size, for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Knead for another minute and let rise for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough using a rolling-pin to a thickness of 1 cm (3/8 in). Let rise for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Form the doughnuts into desired shapes and drop into the oil.
- Meanwhile, bring the maple syrup to a boil in a pan. Once the doughnuts are golden in colour, remove from oil and place in the maple syrup. For a strong maple flavour, let the doughnuts sit in the hot mixture for 2 minutes. Place the doughnuts on a cooling rack and let cool. Decorate.
Garnish: Decorate with any maple syrup product (butter, sugar, maple sugar chips, taffy, mini candy, etc.)
GREAT GIFT IDEA! A box of maple syrup doughnuts makes a wonderful gift!
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!