- 7 oz puff pastry (store-bought)
- 3 yellow or McIntosh apples
- 1 medium egg, beaten with 5 ml (1 tsp.) water (for egg wash)
- 2 c. à soupe maple sugar (90 g
- 1/2 c. à thé cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon green alder pepper* (or 2.5 ml [1/2 tsp.] cinnamon)
- 2 teaspoons cold butter
Maple – Green Alder Pepper Light Cream
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground green alder pepper* (or 1 vanilla bean, cut in half and seeded)
- 1/3 tablespoon 35% whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough as thinly as possible and cut into 4 equal rectangles. Brush with egg wash.
- Peel the apples, cut them in half and core, then cut into thin slices.
- Place them on the puff pastry, overlapping them slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the maple sugar and green alder pepper (or cinnamon), and sprinkle on tartlets.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and dot each tartlet.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk egg, cornstarch, maple syrup, and maple sugar into a uniform mixture.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Pour half the warm milk over the egg mixture and whisk well.
- Return the egg-milk mixture to the pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the butter and green alder pepper and stir until the butter is well incorporated.
- Pour into a bowl, place plastic wrap directly on the custard and allow to rest in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- With an electric mixer, whip the 35% cream into firm peaks.
- Take the custard from the fridge and whisk it well to soften. Continue to whisk as you add 1/3 of the whipped cream. Then, using a spatula, fold the mixture into the rest of the custard until smooth.
- Allow to cool for one hour.
- Serve the tartlets with the green alder pepper light cream.
Green alder pepper (also known as poivre des dunes or dune pepper) comes from the boreal forest.
Frozen : 5 hours
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!