- 1 onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 rib celery
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1/2 fresh pineapple
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 small hot chile peppers (Thai or habanero)
- 2.2 lbs lean pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp peanut oil (or olive or corn)
- 3 oz maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 2 oz light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F) or convection oven to 150° C (300° F).
- Wash, peel, and cut the vegetables and pineapple into approx. 1 cm (3/8 in) cubes, as evenly as possible.
- Deseed and chop the hot chiles along with the garlic. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan over high heat, sear the pork cubes in 15 ml (1 tbsp) of oil until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to an oven-proof pot with lid.
- Add the vegetables, pineapple, garlic, and peppers to the pan, brown lightly, then add the maple syrup and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper, taking care not to over-salt because of the soy sauce.
- Bring about 250 ml (1 cup) water to the boil and add to the sautéed pork cubes. The braising liquid should come up to about halfway up the meat and vegetables; if it doesn’t, add more hot water.
- Add the chopped cilantro. Bring all to the boil. Cover pot and place in oven for 1½ hour.
- Once time has expired, remove from oven and check doneness. Adjust seasonings and return to oven for 15 minutes or as needed.
- Serve with basmati rice, Chinese fried noodles, or rice vermicelli garnished with julienned vegetables: carrots, celery, onion (red for added colour), peppers, etc.
The finished dish can be divided into portions, and frozen in microwave-safe containers.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!