- 2 slices cured ham, very thin
- 4 medium yellow or chioggia beets, cleaned, stems trimmed to about 2.5 cm (1 in)
- About 1/2 cup plain cream cheese
- 2 tbsp dill, finely minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (preferably dark syrup, for its robust flavour)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple nuggets or flakes
- 4 stems of dill, for garnish
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to a minimum temperature of 180° C (350° F).
- Put ham on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and into the oven. Allow it to dry out for about 20 minutes (or more if necessary) to make the ham quite brittle. Break it into small pieces. (This step can be done in advance.)
- In a saucepan of salted water, cook the beets about 40 minutes. Drain. Remove skins.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese with the pieces of ham and half the minced dill.
- Cut each of the cooked beets into 3 or 4 thick rounds.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the maple syrup. Place the beet rounds into the mixture and caramelize over low heat, taking care not to burn them. Remove, place on parchment paper, and let cool.
- Into the centre of each beet slice, place a knob of cheese and stick the next slice to it. Do not put cheese on the top slice.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, maple flakes or nuggets, the rest of the minced dill, and the remaining cream cheese.
- Place beet mounds on serving dishes, and drizzle maple-cream cheese sauce around them. Garnish with dill stems. Season with pepper. Serve warm or cold.
Drying Time: 20 minutes
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!