- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 (350g/12oz) block firm tofu, cut into 2.5 cm (1 in) cubes
- Chia seeds
- Steak spices
- A few leaves of kale, blanched for 3 minutes in boiling salted water
- Vegetable oil
- In an airtight container or resealable freezer bag, combine all marinade ingredients, add tofu cubes, and refrigerate for 1 to 12 hours.
- Remove tofu from marinade and drain well on absorbent paper. Reserve the marinade.
- Roll one third of tofu cubes in chia seeds without coating all their sides, and set aside.
- Place another third of tofu cubes into the steak spices to coat one side of each, and set aside.
- Partially roll the rest of the cubes, individually, in the blanched kale leaves, and secure with toothpicks.
- In a large non-stick pan, over medium-high heat, brown the tofu cubes, a few at a time, in the oil for about 1 minute on each side. Repeat with all cubes, remove the toothpicks, and arrange nicely on a serving plate.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, reduce the reserved marinade by half. Pour into a dip container and serve with the tofu treats.
Refrigeration Time: 1 – 12 hours
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!