- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 portobellos, chopped coarsely
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 sheets of phyllo dough
- In a skillet, melt the butter then add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, apple and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, stirring gently. Set the mushroom filling aside. In a bowl, combine the melted butter and mapple syrup.
- On a work surface, spread out the first sheet of phyllo and brush it with the maple-butter mixture.
- Add the next 3 sheets, brushing with butter beween each layer. Spread the filling along the width of the pastry, then roll up tightly. Brush with melted butter, wrap in plastic and freeze for 1 week.
- The day you want to serve the strudel, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Place the frozen strudel on a parchement-lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let the strudel cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 4-cm (1 1/2 -in.) slices.
Start recipe 2 weeks before Christmas.
The Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec is not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!