- 3 onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 leek whites, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 1 tbsp flour, browned
- 1 cup Kamouraska maple vodka (or other vodka of your choice)
- 2 cups chorizo, cubed
- 8 cups poultry bouillon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices of country-style bread, 1 cm (1/2 in) thick, toasted
- 1 small clove of garlic, cut in half
- 2 cups grated Québec raclette cheese (or other firm Québec cheese)
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onions and leeks for 15 minutes in the butter, stirring a few times. Add the maple syrup and cook the onions another 15 minutes over high heat to caramelize, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Add the browned flour, stirring well. Add the vodka, chorizo, bouillon, and nutmeg, and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium-high heat for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the oven to broil and preheat.
- Lightly rub each slice of bread with the garlic clove halves and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each with about 60 ml (1/4 cup) of cheese. Place under broiler for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a piece of toasted bread on top of each.
Servings: 8 (2 litres/8 cups)
The Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec is not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!