- 1 extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tray white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 ciabatta baguette, cut in 4
- 3 oz creamy goat cheese (or other cheese of your choice)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy or tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Star nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek
- Cut tofu in half across its width, then each half into 3 thick slices.
- Blend the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or airtight freezer bag. Marinate tofu slices 1 hour at room temperature or several hours in the fridge.
- Remove tofu from marinade and squeeze between sheets of paper towel. Coat them in cornstarch and shake off excess.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan. Brown mushrooms and onion, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until they’re cooked. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a pan and brown the tofu slices 5 minutes on each side or until they’re crusty and golden.
- Put cheese on ciabattas, then slices of tofu, and cover with the mushroom-onion mixture. Top with baby spinach.
Resting time: 1 hour or more
The Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec is not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!