- 1 bloc (1 lb) extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (preferably dark syrup for its robust flavour)
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp black chia seeds
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle powder (smoked Mexican chile) or to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 burger buns
- Toppings, your choice: tomato slices, cucumber slices, lettuce, etc.
- Cut the tofu into 1.25 cm (1/2 in) slices, place them on a plate between several layers of absorbent paper, and press lightly to remove excess water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, maple syrup, ketchup, vinegar, chia seeds, garlic, pepper, and chipotle powder. Add the tofu slices, cover and allow to marinate at least 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium and oil the grill.
- Remove tofu slices from the marinade and reserve it. Grill tofu for 5 minutes, flip and cook another 5 minutes. Grill the buns at the same time.
- Combine the reserved marinade with the mayonnaise and brush the burger buns generously with it.
- Garnish grilled maple tofu burgers with your choice of toppings.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!