- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup multigrain Cheerios
- 1/4 cup powdered skimmed milk
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the dates, water, maple sugar and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree using a food processor.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the date mixture and mix well to coat all the ingredients.
- Spread over the sheet and flatten with a spatula.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until it turns golden.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to set the mixture. Break into pieces.
These granola mouthfuls are a delicious snack when out on a hike, or add them to some yogurt for an afternoon snack. Due to their higher fibre and protein content than most store-bought granola bars, these crunchy clusters are a better choice for providing the energy you need for that hardcore workout. As a bonus, the maple syrup contains minerals, such as zinc and manganese, which can assist in muscle recovery.Per 60 ml serving (1/4 cup): 150 calories; 4 g protein; 4 g fat; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g fibre.
The Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec is not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!