- About 7 oz bacon, sliced
- About 4 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- About 5/8 cup maple syrup (preferably amber syrup for its rich flavour)
- 1 tbsp five-spice powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- About 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups NAPSI-certified maple water
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Place bacon slices, chunks of squash, and garlic into a roaster. Pour in maple syrup and sprinkle with five-spice powder and salt. Roast until the squash begins to colour.
- In a large pot, sweat the onion in the butter. Add the roasted ingredients. Add the maple water and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce in a blender, adjust the seasonings, and strain through cheesecloth or a sieve. Keep warm.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!