- 1 lb chanterelle mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 gray shallots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 oz cognac
- ¼ cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (preferably amber syrup, for its rich flavour)
- 4 thick slices of crusty bread
- 1 cup strong cheddar, grated
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- In a skillet over high heat, sauté the chanterelles in the oil and butter for 3 minutes, without over-stirring to brown them well. Add the shallots, garlic, and salt and pepper, and cook for another minute.
- Take the pan off the heat and deglaze with the cognac. Add the cream and herbs, and cook 2 minutes over low heat or until the cooking juices are reduced. Stir in the maple syrup. Adjust the seasoning and set aside.
- Toast the 4 slices of bread.
- Put the bread on a baking sheet and top each slice with the chanterelle mixture and the grated cheese. Broil until well-browned and serve immediately.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!