- 1 onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1/2 fresh pineapple
- 1 fresh garlic clove, crushed
- 2 small hot chilli peppers (thai or habanero)
- 2.2 lbs lean pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or olive or corn)
- 3 oz maple syrup
- 2 oz light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F) or 150 °C (300 °F) for convection ovens.
- Wash, peel and cut the vegetables and pineapple into cubes about 1 cm (3/8 in) as evenly as possible.
- Deseed and chop the hot chillis along with the garlic. Place in a mixing bowl and put to one side.
- In 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of oil, sear the pork cubes in a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a high heat until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to an oven proof pot with a lid.
- Add the vegetables, pineapple, garlic and peppers to the pot, lightly brown, then pour in the maple syrup and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper (be careful while adding salt as there is already soy sauce).
- Bring about 250 ml (1 cup) of water to the boil and add to the pot with the sautéd pork cubes. The braising liquid needs to come up to about halfway up the meat and vegetables in the pot; if it doesn’t, add some more hot water.
- Add the chopped fresh cilantro. Bring it all to the boil. Cover the pot and put in the oven for one hour and a half.
- After an hour and a half, remove the pot from the oven and taste to check its doneness and the seasoning. Adjust the seasoning and put back in the oven for 15 minutes as needed.
- Serve with basmati rice, Chinese fried noodles or rice vermicelli garnished with julienned vegetables: carrots, celery, onion (red for added colour), peppers etc.
The finished dish can be separated into portions in microwave-safe containers and frozen.
The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers are not in any way responsible for the identification or presence of allergens in recipes or for the classification of any recipe as vegetarian or vegan.
Hundreds of Delicious Recipes
Maple is a special addition to any recipe, from appetizer to dessert. Find one that’s perfect for you or your occasion!